Nersesian receives quality leadership award
FPA Chief Medical Officer William Nersesian, M.D., receives the 2010 MMA physician quality leadership award
Fairview Physician Associates (FPA) Chief Medical Officer William Nersesian, M.D., was named the 2010 recipient of the Minnesota Medical Association's (MMA) Outstanding Achievement Award for Physician Leadership in Quality. The award recognizes a Minnesota physician "who has shown a commitment to, and demonstrated leadership in, advancing quality and safety in health care." Dr. Nersesian received the award on Sept. 16.
"I could not have been more surprised to receive this recognition," he said. "We take a team approach to all our work at FPA, so I share the credit with current and former team members."
Highlights among Dr. Nersesian's work at FPA include:
- In 2010, developed a pilot project that reduced unnecessary hospital readmissions of Medical Advantage patients by up to 44% in the first six months
- Fought obesity through creation of the CAN DO healthy lifestyle program
- Promoted smoking cessation state-wide through a quit-smoking program he helped introduce
- Promoted a generics program that moved FPA network use of generics from 44% to 72% since 2003
- Leads FPA's small grant program to encourage the use and spread of clinical innovation like patient registries to enhance coordination of care
Dr. Nersesian has served as FPA chief medical officer since 2003. He brings a background in pediatrics and public health.