Generic Name: Ciclesonide
- Use & care instructions (PDF)
- Dose tracker (60 doses) (PDF)
- Print-friendly patient education (PDF)
- Full prescribing information
Instructions for use
- Wash and dry your hands well.
- Remove the mouthpiece cover and check for loose parts inside the mouthpiece.
- Prime the inhaler into the air away from face if it is new or has not been used for 10 days.
- Sit up straight or stand up.
- Hold the inhaler so the mouthpiece is at the bottom and the canister points upward. Fully exhale from your mouth.
- Place the mouthpiece between your lips. Make sure that your tongue is flat under the mouthpiece and does not block the opening.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece.
- Push the CENTER of canister (not off-center) all the way down as you begin to slowly take in a deep breath over 5 seconds through your mouth.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds. If you cannot hold your breath for 10 seconds, then hold your breath for as long as possible.
- Repeat steps 4–9 until you reach the dosage prescribed by your doctor.
- Rinse your mouth after the last puff of medicine and spit the water out — do not swallow.
- Replace the mouthpiece cover after each use. Store the inhaler in a cool dry place.
Key product details
Medication Class and Use
- Corticosteroid (maintenance inhaler or steroid inhaler): Works by decreasing inflammation, swelling, and mucus production over time. This medicine will help open airways and make breathing easier if used every day, even when feeling well.
- Available strengths: 80 mcg/actuation and 160 mcg/actuation.
- Asthma Dosing: 80 mcg-320mcg twice daily.
Click Here: Detailed Dosing
- Priming: 3 sprays before first use and if not used within 10 days.
- Each inhaler contains 60 inhalations.
- Dose counter information: Dose indicator is located on top of inhaler and moves only with every 10 doses. Indicator turns red when less than 20 doses remain. Inhaler is empty when indicator reads 0. Indicator may not work if inhaler is dropped. Manufacturer recommends keeping track of how many doses are remaining.
- Clean mouthpiece with DRY tissue or cloth weekly, including small hole where medicine comes out. Do not wash or put any part of inhaler in water.
- Important: push center of canister when actuating the inhaler.
- No need to shake inhaler prior to use.
- Galvin WF, Dunn PJ, Kallstrom TJ. A Patient’s Guide to Aerosol Drug Delivery. American Association for Respiratory Care; 2010.
- Product Information: ALVESCO(R) oral inhalation aerosol, ciclesonide inhalation aerosol. Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc, Marlborough, MA, 2015.
This site does not endorse or recommend any individual medication and does not accept funding or advertising from drug manufacturers. Our intent is to share information about medication use so that you get the most benefit from your medicine.
The information provided is educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Copyright @2022 Fairview Physician Associates. All rights reserved.