Generic Name: Mometasone furoate
Instructions for use
- Wash and dry your hands well.
- Hold the inhaler straight up with the base (gray or pink portion) on the bottom.
- Remove the cap while it is in the upright position to make sure the right dose is loaded.
- Hold the base and twist the cap in a counter-clockwise direction to remove it.
- As the cap is lifted off, the dose counter on the base will count down by 1. This action also loads the dose, so do not shake the inhaler once it’s open.
- Make sure the arrow located on the white portion (directly above the base) is pointing to the dose counter.
- Exhale out through mouth away from the inhaler.
- Place the mouthpiece into your mouth, while holding the inhaler level with the floor. Be careful not to cover the ventilation holes.
- Close your lips tightly around the mouthpiece and take a fast, deep breath.
- Remove the mouthpiece from your mouth and hold your breath for 10 seconds or as long as possible.
- Exhale through your mouth slowly away from the inhaler.
- Immediately replace the cap, turn in a clockwise direction, while gently pressing down until you hear a click.
- Repeat steps 2–12 if another dose is needed.
Key product details
Medication Class and Use
- Corticosteroid (maintenance inhaler or steroid inhaler): Works by decreasing inflammation, swelling, and mucus production over time. This medicine will help open airways and make breathing easier if used every day, even when feeling well.
- Available strengths: 110 mcg/actuation; 220 mcg/actuation
- Asthma dosing, Adult: 220 mcg once daily- 440 mcg twice daily, if given once daily, dose should be in the evening.
- Pediatric Dosing: 110 mcg once daily.
- Detailed Dosing
- 110 mcg inhaler contains 30 inhalation units (institutional pack = 7 units)
- 220 mcg inhaler is available in 30, 60, or 120 inhalation units (institutional pack = 14 units)
- Inhaler is empty when dose counter reads 00
- Discard inhaler 45 days after opening foil pouch (or when dose counter reads 00, whichever comes first
- Keep inhaler dry at all times. Use a dry cloth to gently wipe mouthpiece if needed.
- Galvin WF, Dunn PJ, Kallstrom TJ. A Patient’s Guide to Aerosol Drug Delivery. American Association for Respiratory Care; 2010.
- Product Information: ASMANEX TWISTHALER(R) oral inhalation powder, mometasone furoate oral inhalation powder. Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc. 2014.
This site does not endorse or recommend any individual medication and does not accept funding or advertising from drug manufacturers. Our intent is to share information about medication use so that you get the most benefit from your medicine.
The information provided is educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Copyright @2022 Fairview Physician Associates. All rights reserved.