Generic Name: Budesonide
Instructions for use
- Wash and dry your hands well.
- Twist the cover and lift it off.
- Hold the middle of the inhaler upright (mouthpiece up, brown grip down) to load a dose.
- Twist the brown grip fully in one direction as far as it goes. It does not matter which way you turn it first.
- Twist it back in the other direction as far as it will go.
- You should hear a click sound during one of the twisting movements.
- Exhale out through your mouth away from the inhaler.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and seal it with your lips.
- Inhale deeply and quickly.
- Remove the mouthpiece from your mouth and hold your breath for 5 to10 seconds or as long as possible.
- Exhale through your mouth slowly, away from the inhaler.
- If your require more than 1 dose, repeat Steps 3 to12 above.
- Put the cover back on and twist it shut. Store in a cool dry place.
- Rinse your mouth after taking the dose or brush your teeth and spit the water out. Do not swallow.
Key product details
Medication Class & Use
- Corticosteroid (maintenance inhaler or steroid inhaler): Works by decreasing inflammation, swelling, and mucus production over time. This medicine will help open airways and make breathing easier if used every day, even when feeling well.
- Usual adult asthma starting dose: 360 mcg twice daily (max 720 mcg twice daily)
- Pedatric dosing: 180 mg twice daily.
- Available strengths: 90 mcg/actuation; 180 mcg/actuation.
- Inhalers contain either 60 or 120 inhalations per device.
Priming: Prime 1 time before first use only:
- Hold upright (brown grip on bottom). Turn the white cover and lift it off.
- Hold the middle of the inhaler (not the mouthpiece) in one hand and turn the brown grip as far as it will go in one direction. Repeat in the opposite direction (you will hear a click during one of the turns).
- Repeat step 2 and your first dose is ready to be loaded. There is no need to prime the inhaler again.
- Dose indicator is marked at intervals of 10 doses. Inhaler is empty when dose counter reads 0 in the middle of the window.
- The inhaler will only release one dose of medication at a time no matter how many times you click the brown grip. However, the dose counter will continue to advance with each click, so the inhaler may actually contain additional doses when the dose counter reads 0.
- KEEP DRY. Clean outside the mouthpiece once weekly with a dry tissue.
- Galvin WF, Dunn PJ, Kallstrom TJ. A Patient’s Guide to Aerosol Drug Delivery. American Association for Respiratory Care; 2010.
- Product Information: PULMICORT FLEXHALER(TM) inhalation powder, budesonide inhalation powder. AstraZeneca,LP, Wilmington, DE, 2012.
This site does not endorse or recommend any individual medication and does not accept funding or advertising from drug manufacturers. Our intent is to share information about medication use so that you get the most benefit from your medicine.
The information provided is educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Copyright @2022 Fairview Physician Associates. All rights reserved.